Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Where do I register to vote?

A: Residents can register at the County Clerk’s office located at 192 E. Main Street in the County Court House. Office hours are Monday – Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For all voting questions call the County Clerk’s office at (870) 793-8828.

Q: Where is the City Hall and what are the office hours?

A: City Hall is located at 500 E. Main Street on the first floor of the Municipal Building. The City Hall is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q: Who do I contact to arrange public utility services?

A: Water, sewer and sanitation service – Batesville Water Utility at (870) 698-2415.
Electrical service – Entergy at (800) 368-3749.
Natural Gas service – Reliant Energy at (800) 992-7552.
Cable TV – Suddenlink Communication at (870) 793-7277.

Q: Who do I contact to find out about garbage and recycling pick-up?

A: The city collects household garbage Tuesday through Friday. All garbage must be bagged and placed in the provided containers near the street before 7:00 a.m. on the day of your pick up. Please call city hall at (870) 698-2400 to see what day your garbage will be collected.

Curb-side recycling pick up through Independence County has been suspended for the current time. Your recyclable goods may be taken directly to the Independence Recycling Center located at 110 Environmental Drive or placed in a collection trailer located in the parking lot of the Farmers Market on the corner of Chaney Drive and Myers Street . Please call the Independence County Recycling Center at (870) 793-8892 for recycling questions or to learn what items are recyclable.

City businesses may request a trash dumpsters. The collection fee varies depending on the dumpster size and number of times the container is picked up per week. Business without a dumpster should call City Hall for a city issued can to place weekly garbage in. To inquire about a trash containers call (870) 698-2400 ext 108.

Q: When does one need a building permit?

A: Permits are required except for minor repairs. Permits are required for the following types of construction and remodeling: additions, plumbing alterations, new buildings, signs, lawn sprinkler systems, electrical alterations, decks, roofs, fireplaces, relocation of structures, site development, swimming pools, and demolitions.To determine if a permit is required, contact the Code Enforcement Department at 870-698-2456.

Q: Where do I obtain a building permit?

A: Building Permit Applications may be obtained at the Code Enforcement Office located on the first floor in the Municipal Building at 500 E. Main Street.

Q: Who are the major employers in town?

A: Visit the Chamber of Commerce website at www.mybatesville.org to learn more about major employers and employment opportunities.

Q: If I am planning to opening a business, what must I do?

A: The City of Batesville does not require business or privilege license. Before starting a new business, contact the Code Enforcement Department for zoning requirements and possible certificate of occupancies.